Due to LLC problems in this state, we had to change things up. This caused us to really rethink our whole farm plan. We’ve got a new name, new goals, and soon a new website. Things have been crazy with working, trying to get utilities installed (just electricity), etc. The heat is very high, and it has become obvious our layout does not work for getting good breezes in. All the plans have to be redone.
I’ll update once the new site is up and running.
The name I’ve used for years for farm and now herbal stuff has been rejected by the state on a LLC filing. There is a group named Seasons of Change, Inc. and they say it is too close to Seasons of Change LLC. I just read the letter, and if I’m reading this right, any name with Seasons of Change in it is not viable. Not quite sure what to do. Everything has this name on it: hats, FB pages, blogs, etc. It took forever to pick a name to begin with. I could keep it and file under something else, change the name completely (new place, new name), or …something. Thinking through my options.
My Certified Naturally Grown application has been turned in and awaiting approval. My inspection is tentatively scheduled pending my new job’s work schedule (hello farm store discount!).
Sunflower, squash, tomato, and pea seeds have sprouted. Too bad I didn’t get the wood for the beds yet. Yikes. Not sure what I was thinking other than I can’t wait to get the plants going.
Anne’s possible birth window opens soon (previous owner didn’t keep track). The lamb will be retained. We still have to get a raptor-proof lambing jug up.
Chicken and turkey coop building will be right after so I can order chickens and turkeys. I’m not sure if we’ll stick with Bourbons. I may check the Livestock Conservancy and go with an endangered breed.
I’m looking at new marketing materials since most of mine were created for Maine.
Getting a storm shelter is high on the list after we had to sit through 30 pmh sustained winds with tornado watches a week ago.
We’re getting the ball rolling.
Oh yeah, and we actually have a domain now.
I’ve had to get a job, so any hours we have will be by appointment only once we get started again. I’ve joined TOFGA, and we are looking at greenhouse ideas. Strictly low budget. I’m leaning towards a hoop house like we did with the shelters.
Ann adjusted fairly well to her new home, and Amy is happy as a clam. She’s still skittish around me, but will come to me if Amy does. However, she won’t let me touch her so I can’t feel for lamb movement. I’ll have to get my son out to help me. We’re discussing going back and buying the other ewes she had for sale. The goats are still eating Amy’s wool, so a separate area is moving up the “must do” list.
Our neighbor put the land next to us up for sale. This is the land we tried to buy, but he bought it first. I’m hoping we can get a down payment together, and buy it when he drops the price in February. It’s doubtful, but it won’t hurt to try.
We’re trying to decide how to lay out the chickens and turkeys in relation to the rest of the place. We miss having our feathered friends and plan to replace them asap. We’re okay on some eggs for now, but my soy-sensitive daughter is joining us in the spring, so we need them in place by then.
The goats keep escaping and getting into the neighbor’s pasture of cattle. Not a good way to build relations. We’ve put temporary fencing up to block the barbed wire that they army crawl under (seriously amusing to watch a 110 pound goat army crawl). The adults haven’t gotten out again but the kids have. We’re literally piling things in front of any suspected holes to block them. So far they’re winning.
To say things haven’t gone as planned is an understatement. We were told it would cost $500 – 1000 to hook up water and electric. It is $1000 for electric and $3000 for water. However, the way our entrance is won’t allow for a long trailer with the electrical pole or a drill for a well. We hit the camper tongue and back end pulling in with a lifted truck. We have to put in a driveway and redo the gate we just did. I left all my kidding/lambing supplies in Maine, because I didn’t breed anyone this year due to the move. I just bought a ewe who is probably bred. That’s not a big deal but we do have a lot of hawks, so I need to build a safe place for the lamb. There is more, but that’s the gist of the way things are going.
We don’t regret moving, though. It’s not all bad. There is a peace when I walk outside that I haven’t felt in a while. The livestock love the space, though the goats have figured out how to get into the neighbor’s property. We need to fix that, but we had unexpected problems that literally killed our small building fund plus our emergency fund. I look forward to setting things up, bringing back the turkeys and chickens, and breeding next fall. It will take at least a year longer than expected.