Leib has settled in, but it seems the milking capacity I was told is a bit off. Despite multiple daily milkings, making sure she is getting enough feed, hay, and lactation herbals, I’m only getting 2-2.5 cups a day. Unfortunately, that is not enough, but she is cute…
I debated on bringing another Ober in, since my friend is selling freshened Obers in September, but decided to go with a breed that falls in-between Obers and ND for milk capacity. I couldn’t find one that seemed to fit the bill for now, so I may end up with another Oberhasli.
I read an article about goat breeds and the last entry caught my attention. After a bit of research, I decided that Golden Guernsey goats definitely intrigue me. They’re right up there with Jacobs Sheep I want to get once we have enough land. I had briefly read about them before I had goats, but forgot about them since I wasn’t planning on buying goats yet. Funny how that works sometimes.
I learned GGs are extremely rare in our country. Darn. There is a chance I could use my Ober does to breed up, but I don’t know if they qualify. I also need to learn how the program works. It will need a lot more research and speaking with Guernsey group members for information. This is a different ballgame than dealing with an already established breed in this country. I need to do a lot of fact gathering before making a decision. All goats bred now will be the foundation for future stock. How is that for “no pressure”? 🙂