My Certified Naturally Grown application has been turned in and awaiting approval. My inspection is tentatively scheduled pending my new job’s work schedule (hello farm store discount!).
Sunflower, squash, tomato, and pea seeds have sprouted. Too bad I didn’t get the wood for the beds yet. Yikes. Not sure what I was thinking other than I can’t wait to get the plants going.
Anne’s possible birth window opens soon (previous owner didn’t keep track). The lamb will be retained. We still have to get a raptor-proof lambing jug up.
Chicken and turkey coop building will be right after so I can order chickens and turkeys. I’m not sure if we’ll stick with Bourbons. I may check the Livestock Conservancy and go with an endangered breed.
I’m looking at new marketing materials since most of mine were created for Maine.
Getting a storm shelter is high on the list after we had to sit through 30 pmh sustained winds with tornado watches a week ago.
I’ve had to get a job, so any hours we have will be by appointment only once we get started again. I’ve joined TOFGA, and we are looking at greenhouse ideas. Strictly low budget. I’m leaning towards a hoop house like we did with the shelters.
Ann adjusted fairly well to her new home, and Amy is happy as a clam. She’s still skittish around me, but will come to me if Amy does. However, she won’t let me touch her so I can’t feel for lamb movement. I’ll have to get my son out to help me. We’re discussing going back and buying the other ewes she had for sale. The goats are still eating Amy’s wool, so a separate area is moving up the “must do” list.
Our neighbor put the land next to us up for sale. This is the land we tried to buy, but he bought it first. I’m hoping we can get a down payment together, and buy it when he drops the price in February. It’s doubtful, but it won’t hurt to try.
We’re trying to decide how to lay out the chickens and turkeys in relation to the rest of the place. We miss having our feathered friends and plan to replace them asap. We’re okay on some eggs for now, but my soy-sensitive daughter is joining us in the spring, so we need them in place by then.
The goats keep escaping and getting into the neighbor’s pasture of cattle. Not a good way to build relations. We’ve put temporary fencing up to block the barbed wire that they army crawl under (seriously amusing to watch a 110 pound goat army crawl). The adults haven’t gotten out again but the kids have. We’re literally piling things in front of any suspected holes to block them. So far they’re winning.
We had thought about doing a small CSA this year with a few people who were interested. Maybe even have a canning get-together. Unfortunately, we lost over half our starter plants to Catzilla, so we’re delaying that plan.
Now if we can figure out how he got to them. The little snot. I need a greenhouse.